While your teeth may be healthy enough, you may have issues with certain aspects of their cosmetic appearance. You may have badly stained teeth from a reaction to tetracycline when you were a kid. You could have a chipped tooth. There may be a gap between teeth. Nothing seriously wrong, just aesthetic issues.
Dr. Garza refers to addressing these types of dental problems as cosmetic dentistry. His goal is to improve the overall beauty of your smile.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
With cosmetic dentistry, Dr. Garza seeks to improve the appearance, but not necessarily the function, of a person’s teeth and overall smile. Cosmetic dentistry improves aesthetic issues such as whiteness, correcting misshapen teeth, alignment, reducing a gummy smile, and the like.
These are some of the common cosmetic procedures Dr. Garza offers:
- Veneers — Ultra-thin porcelain shells are placed over the front sides of the teeth. Veneers can change the color or shape of the teeth. They can correct unevenly spaced, crooked, chipped, oddly shaped, or badly discolored teeth.
- Gum contouring — Thanks to our diode laser, Dr. Garza can reduce gummy smiles and adjust the gum line, all without needing sutures and with far less bleeding and minimal discomfort afterwards.
- Whitening — We offer in-office or at-home whitening that can make your teeth 10-12 shades whiter.
Bonding — Tooth-colored dental resin is used to close gaps, cover badly stained teeth, or cover chips and cracks in teeth.
- CEREC Crowns — While crowns are used to anchor bridges and to return strength to a badly decayed or damaged tooth, they can also be purely cosmetic. A crown can cover a misshapen tooth completely, changing the shape and appearance for the long haul.
- Contouring and reshaping — Dr. Garza can subtly change the shape of a tooth or teeth by removing small amounts of the tooth enamel. This painless procedure makes minor adjustments in the appearance of a tooth.
What problems can be corrected with cosmetic dentistry?
Short of dramatically moving teeth (which would require orthodontics), we can address most other issues. Remember, these are not issues with the health of the teeth and gums, simply with their appearance.
- Closing gaps between teeth
- Whitening badly stained teeth
- Straightening poorly aligned teeth
- Fixing chipped teeth
- Covering badly pitted teeth
- Changing the shape of misshapen teeth
- Reducing gummy smiles
- Lengthening overly short teeth
How long do Porcelain veneers last?
Because porcelain veneers can cosmetically correct so many issues — things like chips, alignment problems, misshapen teeth, and more — they play a large role in most cosmetic dentistry plans. Porcelain veneers are very durable and highly resistant to staining. There is some variation on how long they will last because this can be dependent upon the health of the teeth holding the veneers. Porcelain veneers last anywhere from 7-20 years. If you practice good home hygiene, you should have good durability.
cosmetic dentistry procedure risks
These procedures have very low if any risk. Porcelain veneers and composite bonding simply overlay the front side of the teeth involved. Whitening has proven completely safe over decades of procedures. Laser gum contouring is very efficient, vastly reducing pain and the possibility of infection over previous methods. All in all, there is minimal to no risk with these procedures.
cosmetic dentistry cost
The costs associated with aesthetically changing your smile are wholly dependent upon what services you have done. For instance, porcelain veneers are more expensive than bonding, but veneers will last longer than bonding. Procedures such as tooth contouring are not expensive. During your consultation, Dr. Garza will discuss the options he thinks would fit your needs and you’ll discuss the costs involved.